The Halloween Hanging Mobile Project was lots of fun. Hand drawn images were cut out using a Fireball V90 CNC machine as pieces of the spooky mobile. You can see more details of the V90 CNC machine here.
Here are the basic steps of what was done:
- Drawings were made on sheets of paper
- The drawings were scanned into the computer and touched up using MS Paint
- Artcam was used to convert the bitmap images into vectors
- The vectors were used to create tool-paths so that the images could eventually be cut out
- The tool-paths were exported to G code for the CNC computer
- The CNC computer controlled the CNC machine to allow the parts to be cut out in exact proportion
- Paint all the pieces
- Tie them together with fishing line
- Hang and enjoy!
You will notice below that the CNC machine has a Bosch Colt router installed, this router has a 1/4 inch collet. The issue here is small bits such as the 3mm single flute bit that needs to be used here would not fit directly into the router. MCPi has developed a Dremel Chuck Adapter for a 1/4 inch collet. With this installed tiny bits are no longer an issue.