If you like building electronic kits, have a look at this cool Tube Clock Kit that is built around a nice looking Russian display tube. Thanks to Limor Fried from Adafruit Industries it’s open source so if you would prefer to make your own from scratch you can do that! Have a look at a the Adafruit Industries behind the scenes video that Rocketboom make after the jump.
“This is our first clock kit design, made with a retro Russian display tube!
- Cool glowing blue tube with 8 digits and alarm on/off dot
- Adjustable brightness
- Alarm with volume adjust
- Precision watch crystal keeps time with under 20ppm (0.0002%) error (< 2 seconds a day)
- Clear plastic enclosure protects clock from you and you from clock
- Battery backup will let the clock keep the time for up to 2 weeks without power
- Selectable 12h or 24h display
- Displays day and date
- 10 minute snooze
- Integrated boost converter so it can run off of standard DC wall adapters, works in any country regardless of mains power
- Great for desk or night table use, the clock measures 4.9″ x 2.9″ x 1.3″ (12.5cm x 7.4cm x 3.3cm)
- Completely open source hardware and software, ready to be hacked and modded!”
Originally posted 2009-09-28 11:07:00.